This post was originally published in 2016.
It has been updated with links and information related to She Speaks 2022.
Ack!!! It’s June already!! Can you believe it? Just a few short weeks until we are all together in Charlotte for She Speak 2022!
There is still much to be done in these last remaining weeks, so let’s get right to it!
Review the Conference Schedule
Log in to the She Speaks portal and review the schedule. There is plenty of time for networking and getting to know your fellow conference go-ers. Start making plans now for meeting friends a meal times and the meet-and-greets.
I created two worksheets to help you plan your conference time and be prepared for networking. Enter your info here to get them straight to your inbox!
Oh one of our favorite and most talked about prep activities. Yes, if at all possible, it would be great to have business cards at She Speaks. You’ll make about 250 new best friends and will want an easy way to share your contact information. A few tips for creating your business cards:
- Include your name, email address, phone number and social media info. Most people don’t have a need for your physical address.
- Include the name of your ministry and your tagline. (Don’t have a tagline? Check out this post for a worksheet and step-by-step webinar to come up with one!)
- Add a nice headshot to help match names and faces.
- Don’t use a solid dark background on the front and the back. When I get someone’s card, I like to jot some quick notes on it, what we talked about and anything I want to follow up on from our conversation. Those memory joggers are super helpful when you get home!
- Use the back of the card for more information, but leave space for people to write on the back.
- Keep it simple and don’t stress over it. I can promise you I did not get home and think, “Now who was that girl with the pretty flourish thing on her business card?” Nope. But I did say, “Who was that amazing girl who has the really cool ministry? Let me go find her business card and contact her.” It’s a simple tool to help make connections. Keep it that way.
- Vistaprint and Moo are two popular places to order your business cards. You can design them right on their site, and can often find special deals. You’ll want around 200 cards. If this is your first time to get cards for your ministry, don’t get too many. You’ll probably want to change them at least once. Or twice. (Can you tell I’ve been down this road??)
Pro Tip: Vistaprint runs special deals on business cards often. Subscribe to their site and you’ll get notices frequently. Design your card there and save an order in your cart so it will be quick and easy to purchase when you see a special. It takes around 10 days to get your cards, so you have until the first week of July or so to place your order.
One sheets are a good thing if you have something special you want to promote. Maybe you have a new series coming up on your blog or an event you are speaking at or a special promotion for your faith-based business. Speakers also often have them to share more about their speaking ministry. One sheets are totally optional. You’ll only need 20 or so, and they can be printed two to a sheet if there is not too much on them.
Did you get your publisher appointment request in? If you are signed up for an appointment, you should have received an email from the She Speaks Leadership Team with the list of publishers attending and instructions for making your request. And if you are on the publisher wait list, don’t despair! A LOT of people will choose not to schedule an appointment and it’s likely you’ll hear from P31 later this month.
Let’s Get Together!
I’m looking forward to attending the meet and greet in the Marriott lobby on Wednesday evening. I hope to see you there!
How are your preps coming? What has been the most difficult part so far?