Time management seems to be a universal struggle. But no matter what tools and tips and techniques we use to gain control of our time, instead of letting time control us, we’ll never find any that work better than these three time management tips I learned from Jesus. Join us for episode 7 of Just One Simple Thing.
My Favorite Bible verse…my life verse… is Matthew 11:28-30.
That verse touches a tender spot way deep in my soul because I so often feel tired worn out and burned out.
But another part of the verse I love is where Jesus extends his invitation to us: “Walk with me and work with me– watch how I do it.”
I saw three things that we can apply to our lives and move towards living freely and lightly.
- Jesus focused on what was in front of him at the moment.
- Jesus was totally present wherever he was present.
- He listened, focused, and took care of tasks where he was without being distracted by what was happening elsewhere.
How much more could we get done if we could truly focus on what we are doing at the moment?
- Jesus didn’t worry about what was going undone.
- He didn’t worry about what was going undone because he knew it would be done when it was time to do it. He had in mind a specific time and place where those needs would be taken care of.
- Jesus didn’t try to achieve “balance”
Balance is the greatest time management “myth”.
- Balance means applying equal effort to all things at all times. No wonder we feel so guilty when we fall short of that “ideal” balance.
- If the balance is what we seek, we are set up for failure from the beginning.
“Jesus had no concept of balance. The rhythms of grace guided him where his attention was most needed.”
No matter what tools and tips and techniques we use to gain control of our time, instead of letting time control us, we’ll never find any that work better than following these three time management tips I learned from Jesus.
Create your own categories and separate your to-do list. You can do this using a to-do list app on the phone that lets you assign a category to each item. Or by highlighting each category in a different color in your planner. Or you can download these to-do list tips.
Book Recommendation: Off The Clock: Feel Less Busy While Getting More Things Done by Laura Vanderkam
Let’s stay connected!
Get every episode of the podcast right in your inbox every Monday morning, along with encouragement, tips, and resources in the weekly newsletter.
Other ways to stay connected:
Is your to-do list out of control?
Grab my best to-do list tips and learn to overcome the de-railers in your week