In the last episode, we talked about the importance of brainstorming to get all the ideas out of your head and into a space where you can deal with them. But once you have a whiteboard covered in lists, circles, arrows, and stars, what do you do next? In Episode 13 of Just OneSimple Thing, I’ll share the four steps you need to take after the brainstorm, so you can capture the momentum in the time you’ve spent.
More often than not, we don’t take the time to clean up the mess after a brainstorming session. We quickly lose the hope and enthusiasm (and adrenaline) that fueled our session when faced with the reality of all we carried in our heads. Where do we even start?
Here are four things that will keep your brainstorming session from being a washout.
1. Make assignments with due dates.
- There are probably some items from your session that are no-brainer things you know you just need to do. Before leaving your session, assign someone to complete each of those things, and give them a reasonable due date.
2. Filter the items through your vision and purpose.
- Not all great ideas are ideas you need to implement. If they don’t support your overall vision, it’s okay to let them go.
BONUS: Take the ones that are great ideas but not for you and pass them on to someone who may be better suited.
3. Focus on things that are broken.
- Broken pieces of the organization or your business get in everyone’s way, reduce your productivity and limit your effectiveness.
- Starting a bunch of new initiatives on the back of broken pieces is a plan that is doomed from the start.
4. Put things on the shelf.
- My friend, Lisa Allen at Proverbs 31 Ministries taught us this great concept of putting things “on the shelf.”Things you know you want to do but don’t have the ability, capacity, or resources to do right now go on the shelf.
- Keep a list of your “shelf” items and review them with your team periodically to see if it is time for any of them to come off the shelf.
Alright … you know what time it is! Ready for your one simple action step? If you listened to
episode 12, I asked you to take one idea and brainstorm your way through it.
Now, use these four tips to sort through the idea and make a plan to implement it. For a little accountability, share the idea on social media using the hashtag #justonesimplething and tag me @doanewthing so I can cheer you on.
If you just happened to stumble across this podcast, consider following it and leaving a review where ever you listen. I would truly appreciate it.
More Than A Blog: Success Foundations–A six-module self-paced course to set your writing ministry up for success.
Book Recommendation: Moving Forward: Inspiration for the Go-Getter Jesus Girl
Let’s stay connected!
Get every episode of the podcast right in your inbox every Monday morning, along with encouragement, tips, and resources in the weekly newsletter.
Other ways to stay connected: