While it’s great to get encouragement and positive feedback, sometimes you need to hear the hard things. I call it “tough grace”. Life happens and you aren’t always able to do what you know you need to do. But I care about you and your dream too much to let you keep using that as an excuse. So here in Episode 122 of Just One Simple Thing, I’ll share five tough grace thoughts from me and my friends.
As we move towards the end of the year, you’ll hear me and others start talking about year end reviews and starting to make plans for next year.
Part of evaluating your year is getting very honest with yourself about where you have been and where you are headed. And once you admit it, give yourself some grace and move on.
So let’s dive into these things you may need to admit as you review your 2023.
1. Stay on top of the money stuff. Even if your thing is more of a passion project than a business, the money things can get away from you in a hurry.
2. Renew your mind because our thoughts really do matter and pave the way to our success. If your year hasn’t gone like you thought it would, it’s easy to get discouraged and feel defeated. Allow the Lord to speak truth into your situation … to show you the learnings and the small steps of progress … the ways He has been with you all the way.
3. Trying to push through when you are tired rarely yields the results you want. Sometimes you have to push through to make a deadline. Making that a way of life rarely yields the results you want.
4. Progress may be slow when life is full. We all have to make decisions about where we spend our energy and when life is full, we may not be able to focus on the dream work like we want to.
5. You can’t expect results like a business when you treat it like a hobby. You have to adjust your expectations to match your effort. Or find a way to ramp up your effort to match your expectations.
Okay …. I hope this hasn’t been a downer episode for you. We’ve talked about some tough things. But don’t forget the grace part. Give yourself a heavy dose of it, learn from where you are, and carry those lessons forward with you.
Grab your calendar and make an appointment with yourself to do your year end review and annual planning. If you want to plan your year with me, circle January 6th on your calendar and watch for details on my social media and in my newsletter.
And speaking of my newsletter, are you a subscriber? The NewLetter is a unique combination of encouragement, exclusive subscriber discounts, and resources chosen just for you. You can subscribe by going to my website at doanewthing.com, scroll down to the bottom of the home page, and sign up to get my best to-do list tips. I’d love to have you as part of the Do A New Thing community.
Cindy Yorks His GPS for Your SOS Podcast
Erica Goode Coaches, Consultants + Money Podcast
Erika Millard Get Comfy With Numbers Podcast
Melissa Dickey Empty Nesting On Purpose Podcast
Cathy Lawdanski @retired_empty_nester IG
Grace Workman Beautiful Art and Meaningful Gifts
Let’s stay connected!
Get every episode of the podcast right in your inbox every Monday morning, along with encouragement, tips, and resources in the weekly newsletter.
Other ways to stay connected: