How often do you find little bits of time scattered in your day? 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there …. Are you using those small chunks effectively? Or wasting them because you think you can’t do anything productive in only a few minutes? Join us for Episode 11 of Just One Simple Thing, where we share some tips for how to make 10 minutes matter.
Every once in a while, a random burst of time pops up unexpectedly in our day.
What do we do with those short minutes? I don’t know about you but I let those precious 10-minute moments slip through my fingers because I think they aren’t long enough to accomplish “real” work.
What if we can snatch back the short bits of time so easily wasted and use them in purposeful ways for ourselves, our ministries, and our families?
This isn’t about stuffing every spare minute full of tasks and work. We need time to rest and relax. Freeing our brains from constant engagement can spark creativity and lighten our moods.
It’s about making the most of the time we’ve been given… so that we can one day say to our Father, as Jesus did in John 17:4, “I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do.”
The best way to do that is to keep a list of things you can do in 20 minutes or less. You can keep the list in the notes app on your phone, or an easily accessible page in your planner…break down all the barriers between you and your tasks.
What goes on the list?
- Organize your desk so it is set and ready to go next time you sit down.
- Use a great app to accomplish something on your phone instead of playing a game(like Canva to create a graphic or Amazon to order your next Bible study book).
- Do something to bless someone else. Recently, I had about 15 minutes in the airport before my boarding time. So I spent that time sending testimonial emails to three people who had helped me with my podcast launch. Before my plane took off, I heard back from two of them, saying how surprised they were to get the email and how much it encouraged them. What else can you do to bless someone else in just 10 minutes?
- Draft an invitation for guest posting or a podcast guest interview pitch.
- Look at your schedule for the week and be sure you are prepared for everything.
Listen to this episode for 5 more ideas
Let’s be faithful finishers of the work the Lord has given us to do, even if we have to do it just 10 or 20 minutes at a time.
Make a list of productive things you can do in 20 minutes or less, or when your energy is low, or in other small cracks of time in your day. Post three of your ideas on your social media.
Tag me @doanewthing using the hashtag #justonesimplething so I can share your ideas. In our Facebook group Plan &Pray with Do A New Thing, you’ll find a template to help you do that. I can’t wait to see what y’all come up with!
Plan and Pray Monthly Co-working Session:
Book Recommendation: Holy Hustle: Embracing a Work-Hard, Rest-Well Life by Crystal Stine
Let’s stay connected!
Get every episode of the podcast right in your inbox every Monday morning, along with encouragement, tips, and resources in the weekly newsletter.
Other ways to stay connected:
Is your to-do list out of control?
Grab my best to-do list tips and learn to overcome the de-railers in your week